Many New Year’s resolutions often start in the home: literally! If there’s one resolution that’s heard the most, it’s “I want to remodel my bathroom, dining room, den, etc.” Of course, this is a huge project, no matter which room or space you choose to start with, so jumping head first into picking out those chic lighting fixtures you’ve had your eye on isn’t the first step. Let Lighting and Locks give you some tips to help plan this extensive process and help keep your resolution!
- Plan every detail out, down to the last nail. There is nothing worse than a renovation that flies by the seat of your pants!
- Set a feasible budget. It may seem like common sense, but some people when renovating their home or a room can over do it. Pick a budget that works with your income.
- Think about your renovation from the “big picture” perspective, but also think reasonably.
- If you’re outsourcing the contracting work, make sure it is from a reputable company with good ethics. Also make sure they are members of the NARI, or National Association of Remodeling Industry.
- Once you pick your contractor or builder, make sure all terms of the remodeling are clearly outlined in the contract. If anything is unclear, ask questions. When something doesn’t feel right, always ask for legal help from your lawyer.
- Remember: it’s your home. You are making this dream into a reality, as well as footing the bill. Go with your vision!
Have more tips when it comes to starting a remodeling project? Feel free to leave us a comment below!